Monday, July 21, 2008

The Last Supper(s)

I have 1 more day here in Texas with my wonderful family and then I'm off to California to spend a few days with girlfriends before Peace Corps"staging". I spent my last couple weeks in DC stuffed to the gills. Even in an "eat out" kind of city, I think I had more dinners out in those last 2 weeks than I normally have in 2 months. You don't realize just how many people there are to say goodbye to until you actually have to do it. To be honest, the whole process was making me feel a little down. Of course I'm still very excited about leaving for such a great adventure, but sad, too. I absolutely loved living in DC and I absolutely adore my friends. I mean really, how are the "Bobs" going to survive without me? (Answer: just fine, I'm sure). Then there's SP, he's a whole other blog post entirely...

And now it's down to my last day with my family. SP was here with me the first few days and it was such great fun, but he had to go back to DC and so my last week here was spent in "business mode". Lists to work through, things to buy, stuff to organize, laundry, sorting, tossing, packing, re-packing. It still doesn't feel very real - it's somehow hard to completely "get" that I'm not coming back anytime soon. Excitement, sadness, anxiety, all rolled into one bundle of crazy - that's the only way to describe my emotions right now.

I think I should've bought a bigger backpack.

(edited to add that I started this post way back on July 21, but it's actually now August 9)

6 comments:

labcabbie said...

And you're off! Have fun in LA LA Land - and at the last of your suppers with old friends.

cjc said...

I know what you mean about goodbyes--that's why I indulge myself by not "doing" them. Then again, I've had the luxury of scooting in and out of town several times since I left, and this fall that will change.

Still, the thing you have to figure is that these are friends that you will never say goodbye to....

Sorry, you're stuck with us!

Unknown said...

You don't have a big-enough backpack? Guess you can't go! We'll see you tonight when you fly back to DC!... (bursts into tears) - Johnny

cjc said...

It's Friday....

So...Bon Voyage and Safe Travels, Hilly!

Papaya said...

Hello Kaibigan,
It's now Monday and I will assume you've arrived safely, have made lots of new friends(which you are so good at:) and are enjoying the start of your adventure! I hope your flight was smooth and you are not too jet-wrecked - and that you've come to an equitable arrangement with your backpack and you are now both on friendly terms. Can't wait for an update. Love and miss you! xoM

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about yuo today so I thought I'd check the blog. You should be in LA by now. Hope the "staging" goes well.

You are missed here in DC - XO DjW