Friday, August 22, 2008

Rosetta Stoned

A lot has happened the last couple weeks, so I'll try to give a brief(ish) run-down of everything.

I met the other 68 Peace Corps Philippines volunteers in LA a week and a half ago (already feels like a lifetime). We spent 2 days playing ice-breakers (almost wanted to quit right then and there) before finally getting on a plane to Manila. Here are some things I've learned so far:

1) There is no one within 10 years of me age-wise in either direction.

2) Twenty-somethings have no concept of age....either that or I look a lot older than I am. I was asked more than once if I had children, which seems like an innocent question until you realize that a) they must think I have young kids and just selfishly left them at home and ran away for 2 years or b) they must think I'm actually old enough to have adult children.

3) Twenty-somethings don't think anyone over 30 could possibly need a pregnancy test. Ok, before mom and dad freak out - it was a Peace Corps requirement to pee in a cup before getting some additional vaccinations, just in case one of us was pregnant. Now we do have two 50-somethings and one 80-someting (!) in the group, so granted, they probably didn't need to be tested, but one girl actually asked me why I was standing in line with my plastic cup. It took all my strength not to swat her.

Anyway, we split up into 3 smaller groups a couple of days ago and flew to our training sites and I have to admit I was a bit relieved to get away from the larger group. No offense to any of them, of course, but I like my smaller group. So now I find myself on the island of Negros in the Western Visayans (how exotic does that sound!?) living in Bacolod with my host mom Mel, host sister Kiel and 2 helpers (essentially servants, but treated more like family). They're all great and I feel very lucky.

But here's the kicker....they don't speak Tagalog here. They speak Hiligaynon (also know as Ilonggo) and it's pretty different.

It's a good thing I didn't put too much effort into that Rosetta Stone course.

8 comments:

cjc said...

Oh. So. Funny.

And you definitely should have done some swatting. Or said something like "Yeah, I know...what they don't tell you is that when you reach thirty in the US, you're no longer allowed to have sex--those parts just shrivel up and die. That's why I joined the Peace Corps. I hear in the Philippines they can rejuvenate that by stealing parts from 20-somethings."

labcabbie said...

I am still laughing at you doing ice-breakers!!! :) And, uh, I hate to say this but you ARE old enough to have adult children. Of course you would have been a teen mother! Okay, you can swat ME when I see you next. :) The 20-somethings aren't worth the time or energy!

Unknown said...

I agree with Carrie and support swatting. And I can't believe I put all that work into teaching you three Tagalog phrases and you're not even getting a chance to use them. I feel like Yoda, and I taught you to use the force and you became a car mechanic instead of a Jedi. Miss you!

marybindc said...

So should I stop memorizing the Tagalog words for the day in your blog? Thanks for the update, and glad your smaller group isn't made up of twits.

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't worry, you can still use the Tagalog words you have learned. Even if they speak Hiligaynon, they can still understand and speak Tagalog ;). They are just more used to their local dialect.

I've been to Bacolod many times to attend seminars and conferences and I didn't have difficulty communicating in Tagalog.

By the way, you should try Bacolod's delicacies, piaya and chicken inasal ;). Masarap! :) :)

Hillary said...

I hate you , labcabbie.

Hillary said...

PPC - I've definitely been seeing more of the similarities now that I know enough to at least recognize some words, thank goodness. But it's all so confusing - hindi ko kaintyindi!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Hillary!
Kumusta ka? I hope everything is maayo :)
I was trying to figure out who's PPC and I just realized it was me LOL

I understand your confusion. I am a Filipino but even I cannot understand Hiligaynon much. Gamay lang :)

I know you have language lessons there but maybe this link may help, too: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/1479/ilonggo.htm

Have a great day!