Monday, July 14, 2008

Lucky Charms


I have, without a doubt, the best friends on the planet.

This past Saturday night Chez DeM. hosted a celebration of good friends, good food and good times, not to mention good margaritas. It was both a reunion (with out-of-town friends who could not have timed their visits more perfectly) and a farewell (for me)...and it was wonderful. Besides some of the best grilling this side of the Mississippi, dodge-bocce ball and buckets of "whimsies", I was presented with the best goodbye gift a girl could ask for - baubles! My funny, fantastic friends had made me the most beautiful charm bracelet and they had each contributed a charm that in some way represented our friendship. I've been wearing it nonstop since and can't keep from fingering it and smiling at the memories it brings. It will be one of the most priceless things I'll be taking with me to the Philippines (next to my passport, of course). Words, none that I write anyway, cannot express how much all these people mean to me and how much I will miss them.

Teardrops and tiki huts and toucans and celery seeds and messages in a bottle and courageous cats and prayer scrolls and margarita glasses and buffaloes and evil eyes and hands of Fatima and words of wisdom and horseshoe crabs and.....Elvis.

If this thing doesn't keep me safe and bring me luck, nothing will.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your friends are truly a gift from God. May all blessings go to each of them. We are anxiously awaiting your arrival in Texas and the first leg of your journey. Love you.................Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read about your adventures. You just amaze me. The Peace Corp is lucky to get you.
Janet

Peong said...

Sounds like you had a BOBerific weekend! I think I can relate to what you might be going through... :-)
Hope everything goes well for you getting out of DC.
Safe travels!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hillary,

Kumusta? (How are you?)

My name is Bea and I am from the Philippines. This early, I want to welcome you to my country :) :) Don't worry, we're all nice here :) :) :)

By the way, "Magandang umaga" means "Good morning." Feel free to email me if there's anything you would want to know about my country and its culture or if you want to know more about Filipino as a language :) I can be reached at stilldotwaters [at] gmail.com. You may also leave a message at my blog anytime you want :)

Hillary said...

Thanks for the early welcome, Bea - I just may take you up on your offer of information - I'm going to need all I can get!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, Hillary. Anytime.
I work in the publishing industry, by the way.

Holtmann said...

H!

So, it appears that I missed you before your grand departure, but I send my good wishes regardless. Also, I thought you might be curious to check out some recommendations from my Filipino friends:

1) Pandesal
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandsal)

2) Jollibee
(http://www.jollibee.com.ph/)

3) Being encouraged to eat lots of food while at the movie theater

4) Jeepneys
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeepney)

I'm sure you'll find all kinds of treasures!

Much love from afar,

M.